Happy New Year!
It's 7:30 in the evening on Wednesday, January 4, 2006 and I am fighting to stay awake... I'm back from my 2 weeks sojourn to the Motherland! It was a great trip. I got to see all my relatives who I haven't seen since I was 2 1/2 years old. Not that I remembered any of them, but whatever!
Hong Kong is noisy, crowded and vibrant! All I did was shop and eat to my heart's content! The food (especially the seafood) was amazingly fresh and oh, so cheap! Everything is a mall in the city. They have to build up and the proximity of everything is claustrophobic! Though I have to admit, I really love their public transportation system. Why can't we have something similar? It's so fast, clean and efficient... and they make announcements in English, Cantonese and Mandarin!
I was the Maid-of-Honor for my "aunt's" wedding on Boxing Day. She's my mom's first cousin. I got my hair teased and wore a lot of sparkly pinkness. It was a lot of fun. I know I complained about having to be in this wedding since October, but in actuality, I had a good time. I was quite honored to be asked to be the M-o-H since I found out the reason why it was so important to the bride. It turns out that when her mom got married, my mom was her M-o-H. She wanted to keep the tradition alive... though I sincerely hope I do not have to wait until her daughter (since she got married a week ago, I don't think the baby is yet a reality) is old enough to be my M-o-H before I get married! :)
It was also fun giving all the people we came in contact with (especially the guys) complexes because we were so tall. Sue towered over most of the people in her flats, and since it was a wedding she had heels on. I had on my 4 inch Vanna White silver pumps... so we were the giants from NY! At least the relatives were smart and didn't try to hook us up with anyone. Many knew Sue was attached and I was just too "talkative" ~ like they expected demure! My grandaunt remembers me being a little chatterbox as a baby! :) She said I learned to talk before I knew how to walk... and I only walked to my grandmother on my first birthday because she bribed me with money! Yep, a child's inital actions are so indicative of future character! :)
We also made a couple of day trips into Macau and China. Again, it's all about the food. We had great shark's fin soup and Portuguese food in Macau. I love the soup dumplings in Asia. The skin is sooooo thin and the soup is soooo yummy! I don't think I can have Chinese food again in the States for a good number of months... it just won't be the same. I actually had dim sum every other day when I was there. Since you all know I hate going to dim sum in NYC... you better believe the food was good!
I did have issues with plumbing though. Since we stayed in an apartment provided by the relatives, we didn't get to stay in a hotel. The hot water had to be heated each and everytime we wanted to shower. And the water got cold, FAST! I missed hot water the most when I was there.
And let's not go into the "toilets" we found in various restaurants and establishments. I don't know how a hole in the floor translates to modern plumbing, but hey, I'm just glad they flushed!
We went shopping everyday we were abroad. The exchange is quite favorable and especially now, when all the manufacturing is done in China, the goods are even cheaper. Though most of the merchants sell their goods at the same price, it's still a bargain if you convert to USD. At least someone's making money... hey, I was just helping the world economy!
By the way, and this is so not an after thought, I am going to be an aunt in June! I know that I am Aunt Linda to many toddlers in the last couple of years, but I am going to be a "blood aunt" in late June! Yep, my "baby" brother and his wife are expecting their first child in six months! I am so excited... I bring this up because all the shopping my mom did revolved around the baby when she was there. It was so cute... and my dad is just beside himself. He's volunteered to babysit... the baby is going to master mah jong by the time she's one! :)
Well, I'll try to post some pictures once my sister downloads her pix online... being the lazy butt that I am, I never take pictures when I'm away... I just buy postcards!
Until next time,
Director #1 of CC
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home